So EK went deep in the money about two weeks before expiration last month and so I had a decision to make:
Do I hold for my planned gain for another week or two or do I get out now and find a new place for my money?
I decided to close at a near maximum gain.
Here are the numbers:
On 8/13 (Expiration was 8/24)
Sold 400 shares at 4.49. Total value of 1791.00 (4.95 commission and 0.05 SEC fee)
Bought to Close 4 contracts EK HR at 1.52 for a total debit of 615.55 (7.55 commission)
Total at close: 1175.45
You will recall from the earlier post the maximum value at expiration was 1195 (using the SEC fee of 0.05 plus the 4.95 commission.)
So it cost me $20 extra to close 11 days early. Well worth it if I can find another place for the money for those 11 days that will make more that $20. (Where it went will be listed in a new blog post that I should post this weekend.)
I started by investing 1096.51 to open this position on 7/21.
On 8/13 I closed the position for 1175.45.
Total gain was 1175.45 - 1096.51 = 78.94.
Return for the position = 7.199% in 23 days. (78.94/1096.51)
Annualized return = 114.248% ((7.199% / 23 Days) * 365 Days)
Not to shabby!